What is self care?
Basically, in all its simplicity it means to take care of yourself. “You can’t pour from an empty cup” as the saying goes. You cannot give fully to others before you make sure that you are well and feeling good yourself. Therefore it is so important to remember yourself and listen to your own body’s needs. Do you feel completely stressed out and filled up? Have you spend time with too many people the entire day? Have you fuelled your body with good vitamins and nutrients? Have you gotten enough sleep?
If you start to really listen, your body will easily tell you what you need. And, you should learn to listen to it and then accommodate to those needs. If you’re feeling completely overwhelmed by spending too much time with others, then take some time for yourself to just relax and just be alone. Take a bath, just lay on the couch, read a good book. Whatever you need.
It is so important to take care of yourself. And even though I love to-do-lists and being productive, I also know that if I don’t take time for some self-care, then I’ll eventually end up burning out which won’t do any good at all.
Here is a quote that I love:
“The most important relationship in your life is the relationship you have with yourself. Because no matter what happens, you will always be with yourself“.
So, as the quote goes, the only person you are sure to be with for the rest of your life is yourself, so be sure to take care of yourself and be happy and content with your own company and who you are.
Next I will share some of my favourite self care tips with you and hopefully you will find some inspiration to tune in with yourself and listen to what you need and then remember to take some time just for you.
My favourite self care tips
- take a warm bath
- make your skincare ritual a nice part of your evening routine, really take your time and enjoy it
- make a nice cup of hot tea, a matcha latte, chai or hot chocolate
- go for a walk and breath in the fresh air
- move your body
- find a good movie or serie and just completely relax on the couch with a blanket and a cup of something good
- take time to make some delicious food
- journal, write out your thoughts, get them out of your head
- dance around to your favourite music
- spend some quality time with someone close to you, and just talk and share what’s on your heart and mind
- learn to say ‘no’ to things which doesn’t feel like you at all
- dry brushing and giving yourself oil massages
- lighting candles and creating a cozy atmosphere
- doing a little at-home-faical-massage with oil and a gua sha
- be kind to yourself, tell yourself that you love yourself <3