Did you know that you can improve your health simply by going for a walk? Inactivity is one of the biggest health threats to our society today. A simple way to combat this is simply to put one foot in front of the other and go for a walk. The benefits of walking is amazing, and this is what I want to share with you today!
Walking is such a simple thing, yet so effective when it comes to improving your overall health. I’ve previously written a blogpost about that ‘Sitting is the new smoking’, which you can read right here, which is all about how we in today’s society are way too inactive and spend too much time sitting, which is actually really harmful for our health.
And a way to combat sitting and being inactive – is simply, to go for a walk. Walking can actually help cleanse the lymphatic system – which is a system that helps to purify bodily fluids and improve your overall health. This system does not have a pump, and it is therefore necessary for the individual to maintain a regular amount of activity that will help move the lymph and cleanse the system. You can cleanse this system simply by engaging in 20-30 minutes walking – preferably outside in nature, since there is also a lot of benefits with being outside in nature; you get fresh air, you get some natural sunlight and just the visual of nature can be an instant mood lifter!
The Benefits of Walking
- It boosts the immune function
- It helps combat sugar cravings
- It reduces risk of developing breast cancer
- It can lower risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes
- It strengthens your bones and muscles
- It lifts your mood by releasing endorphins (the happy-hormone!)
- It reduces the risk of depression and fatigue
- It improves your posture
- It can increase your creativity
- It can improve your memory
- It cleanses your lymphatic system
But, if walking doesn’t sound like the funniest thing for you, then here is a few suggestions for how to spice it up and how to make walking a bit more fun!
How to make walking more fun
- Listen to a podcast or some good music while walking (my absolute favourite podcasts at the moment is The Food Medic, Martiny Podcast and Awaken Radio)
- Go for a walk along with a friend and talk
- Go outside in nature, in the forest or along the beach and enjoy the beautiful nature and fresh air
- Drive to a beautiful place where you haven’t been before and go for a long walk, fx Møns Klint (I was there recently with my family and it was such a beautiful place)
- You can also choose to make a little competition with your friends, children or whoever, about who can pick up most trash while going for a walk. A fun little game and such a nice little thing to do to keep the nature clean
How to sneak in more walking in your everyday life?
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator to your work
- Choose to walk instead of taking the bike or the car to the grocery store
- Go for a walk with a friend instead of sitting down at a café. You can just bring your own to-go cups with you and either make your own coffee, tea or whatever, or you can ask to get your cup filled at a café
So, don’t you just feel like going for a walk right now? Or maybe you can suggest to your friend that the next time you are going to meet up that you can go for a walk instead of sitting at a café.
Read also: Healthy Lifestyle Tips