Today I want to talk about how you can get happy by moving your body! And no, it’s not just something I say, it’s actually a chemical release happening in your body when you move it – the release of endorphins! 🙌✨
Getting happy by moving your body? What on Earth you might think?
But it’s actually true. You see, when you exercise you increase endorphins in your body. Endorphins are chemicals produced by the body to relieve stress and pain, so these actually boosts your mood and makes you feel better!
Not only can endorphins make you feel better, they also act as a pain reliever. So if you are feeling mildly anxious or depressed, using your body, moving and exercising it, can actually help you to feel better.
Use this knowledge, to change your mindset towards how you perceive exercising.
Instead of thinking to yourself “Oh no I have to go exercise to keep in shape” or whatever you might tend to think – instead choose to think “I’m going to exercise to lift my mood and feel better!“. See exercising as not only a physical service you do for yourself, but also something that can lift your mood and make you feel happier! 🙌✨
You can increase endorphins in your body through other ways as well;
- Through giving, volunteering, donating, helping
- Through yoga and meditation
- Through laughing
Read also: The Benefits of Walking
Did you know that you can improve your health simply by going for a walk? Inactivity is one of the biggest health threats to our society today. A simple way to combat this is simply to put one foot in front of the other and go for a walk. The benefits of walking is amazing, and this is what I want to share with you today!
Walking is such a simple thing, yet so effective when it comes to improving your overall health. I’ve previously written a blogpost about that ‘Sitting is the new smoking’, which you can read right here, which is all about how we in today’s society are way too inactive and spend too much time sitting, which is actually really harmful for our health.
And a way to combat sitting and being inactive – is simply, to go for a walk. Walking can actually help cleanse the lymphatic system – which is a system that helps to purify bodily fluids and improve your overall health. This system does not have a pump, and it is therefore necessary for the individual to maintain a regular amount of activity that will help move the lymph and cleanse the system. You can cleanse this system simply by engaging in 20-30 minutes walking – preferably outside in nature, since there is also a lot of benefits with being outside in nature; you get fresh air, you get some natural sunlight and just the visual of nature can be an instant mood lifter!
The Benefits of Walking
- It boosts the immune function
- It helps combat sugar cravings
- It reduces risk of developing breast cancer
- It can lower risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes
- It strengthens your bones and muscles
- It lifts your mood by releasing endorphins (the happy-hormone!)
- It reduces the risk of depression and fatigue
- It improves your posture
- It can increase your creativity
- It can improve your memory
- It cleanses your lymphatic system
But, if walking doesn’t sound like the funniest thing for you, then here is a few suggestions for how to spice it up and how to make walking a bit more fun!
How to make walking more fun
- Listen to a podcast or some good music while walking (my absolute favourite podcasts at the moment is The Food Medic, Martiny Podcast and Awaken Radio)
- Go for a walk along with a friend and talk
- Go outside in nature, in the forest or along the beach and enjoy the beautiful nature and fresh air
- Drive to a beautiful place where you haven’t been before and go for a long walk, fx Møns Klint (I was there recently with my family and it was such a beautiful place)
- You can also choose to make a little competition with your friends, children or whoever, about who can pick up most trash while going for a walk. A fun little game and such a nice little thing to do to keep the nature clean
How to sneak in more walking in your everyday life?
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator to your work
- Choose to walk instead of taking the bike or the car to the grocery store
- Go for a walk with a friend instead of sitting down at a café. You can just bring your own to-go cups with you and either make your own coffee, tea or whatever, or you can ask to get your cup filled at a café
So, don’t you just feel like going for a walk right now? Or maybe you can suggest to your friend that the next time you are going to meet up that you can go for a walk instead of sitting at a café.
5 Surprising Benefits of Walking
Benefits of Walking
The # 1 Best Way to Cleanse the Lymphatic System
Why Walking is the most Underrated form of Exercise
The Importance of Walking to Public Health