What is a Lady-comp?
A Lady-Comp is basically a little computer with a thermometer that tells you whether you can have unprotected sex without getting pregnant, or not. It is a natural alternative to the birth control pill or any other hormonal disturbing you can use to prevent getting pregnant. With this computer, you still need to use condoms (or pessars) if you want to have sex on the risky days (yellow/red). And this device only works if you are in a committed relationship with a stable partner, since it of course do not protect against sex diseases.
A Lady-Comp works by measuring your body temperature every day, and keeping track on when you have your menstruation and thereby works out when you are and when you are not fertile, and if it is safe to have sex without protection or not. If you want to learn more about this method, I can recommend you to read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility*.
*this method only works if you have a relatively stable menstruation cycle, and it does not protect against sexual diseases and should only be used if you are in a committed relationship.
How to use it?
You take your temperature each morning around the same time, as the first thing you do, without even getting out of your bed. This takes about 60 seconds, and then you also plot in whether or not you have your menstruation, and then the Lady-Comp will show you red/yellow or a green symbol. Red means that you are fertile and have a high risk of getting pregnant if you have sex that day. Yellow means there is still a risk, but not as high – if you want to be completely safe from not getting pregnant, you should use protection (fx condoms or pessar) during these days. And green means that you are safe to have sex.
How I use it?
I both use the Lady-comp, but also keep track of my menstruation and my overall cycle with the apps Clue and MyFLO.
It’s really interesting to get to know your body and your cycle and figure out how you are during the different times of the month, I can highly recommend it.
– you don’t have to fill yourself with hormone disturbing pills or anything, it is completely natural!
– it is very easy to use once you learn it
– you’ll learn more about your body and your body’s temperature and how it changes during your cycle
– you can use it both if you don’t want to get pregnant, or if you want to (then you gotta go after those red days)
– the computer alarm is very noisy/loud when it rings and you can’t change the volume, or the sound
– you do have to take your temperature at the same time everyday, but you can, of course, just quickly wake up and take your temperature and then go back to sleep again if you want to
– as mentioned before, it does of course not protect against any sexual diseases, so it works best if you are in a stable relationship
– it is very expensive
All in all I’m very happy with it, and I think it was a good investment.
*Affiliate link means that if you buy through this link, then I’ll get a percentage of the sale.
Read also: Update on quitting birth control pill